Who’s the Healthy Winner – Pink Himalayan Salt or White Table Salt?

By: Joe Martinez, RPh, PDE, CMS, Founder and CCO, HMS

Contributor: Stephanie Wu

Himalayan salt on old wooden table

Pink Himalayan salt is trending these days, not only in the culinary world, but also in home decor, as my wife recently pointed out to me. 

Not too long ago, while we were shopping at a house design store, she spotted a pink salt lamp. I thought to myself, “Huh, that pink stuff looks familiar!”  

Our salt grinder at home is filled with Pink Himalayan salt. Yes, we use this type of salt to garnish our scrambled eggs, season our salads, and sprinkle on our soup. 

Pink Himalayan salt is not only attractive and tasty, but also the healthier of the alternatives. 

In today’s blog, let’s take a look at what makes Pink Himalayan salt so special, and perhaps even better than regular white table salt.

What Is Pink Himalayan Salt?

Known for its noticeably pink-color, this salt is extracted from the Khewra Salt Mine near the, you guessed it!, the Himalayas in Pakistan. 

As one of the oldest and largest salt mines in the world, it is believed that the pink salts were formed hundreds of thousands of years ago as ancient bodies of waters evaporated. 

As the salt is extracted, the idea is that it is minimally processed and touched so that it remains in its most natural state, free from chemicals and additives. 

Pink Himalayan salt is much like table salt in that it contains up to 98% sodium chloride. But, the remaining 2% contains trace minerals including potassium, magnesium, and calcium giving the salt its signature light pink tint. 

While salt is used for cooking and preserving, larger blocks of the pink salt are also used as serving dishes, cooking surfaces, in baths, and lamps or candle holders. 

Is Pink Himalayan Salt Better than Table Salt? 

It is very likely that Pink Himalayan salt is more natural than table salt because the process of extracting the Pink Himalayan salt minimizes handling and adding chemicals. Table salt goes through a heavy refinery process, with anti-caking agents added to reduce clumping. 

Pink Himalayan salt is also believed to achieve an optimal fluid balance and prevent dehydration. While this is true of all sodium, some of Pink Himalayan salt’s other promoted health claims include:

  • improving respiratory diseases
  • balancing the body’s pH
  • reducing signs of aging
  • improving sleep quality  and
  • regulating blood sugar

Studies show that having certain mineral deficiencies can lead to disrupted sleep patterns caused by low levels of sodium in the blood which, in turn, decreases blood volume. As a result,  the body’s nervous system increases activity and this prevents you from sleeping. 

Is Salt Important for My Body? 

Absolutely Yes!  Sodium supports many bodily functions including:

  • contracting and relaxing muscles
  • maintaining proper fluid balance
  • monitoring nervous system impulses and 
  • balancing blood pressure

In fact, research has found that salt consumption is linked to the reduction of infection risk. 

Interestingly, one study showed that salt consumption may be linked to the positive effects on symptoms of depression. The argument is that we may actually crave salt to put us in a better mood. 

So, what’s the verdict?

While there is no solid scientific evidence showing that you should always choose pink over table salt, there is some merit to the benefits of the rosy-crystal.  Ultimately, if you want to avoid additives that are usually in regular table salt, Pink Himalayan salt is one of your best and most-natural alternatives.

At Healthy Meals Supreme, we use Pink Himalayan salt rather than white table salt to provide our customers with the healthiest possible food at all times. 

Here are a couple of my favorite meals where Pink Himalayan salt is an ingredient.

  1. Korean BBQ Beyond Burger with Asian Mango Relish and Broccoli Rice
  2. Impossible Vegetarian Curry Meatballs with White Quinoa, Green Peas and Bragg’s (registered trademark)  Liquid Aminos
  3. Wild-caught Salmon Blackened Filet and served with a zesty Pinto Bean and Mango Salad

* Always check with your doctor or healthcare professional before making any changes to your diet or exercise routine.

Spread the love